- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed white bread (about 7 (1-ounce) slices)
- 5 cups (1-inch) cubed whole wheat bread (about 7 (1-ounce) slices)
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausage
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups Homemade Turkey Stock
- calories 187
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- fat 5.9 g
- satfat 1.6 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 1.5 g
- protein 12.4 g
- carbohydrate 21.6 g
- fiber 2.9 g
- cholesterol 38 mg
- iron 2.5 mg
- sodium 460 mg
- calcium 52 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 250°.
Place bread in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 1 hour or until dry. Set aside.
Remove casings from sausage. Cook the sausage in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Place sausage in a large bowl.
Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and mushrooms; cover and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in thyme and the next 4 ingredients (thyme through pepper). Add the onion mixture, bread, and parsley to sausage; toss gently to combine. Add Homemade Turkey Stock, and stir until moist.
Increase oven temperature to 350°.
Spoon the bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until top is crusty.