I accidentally left out the okra, and this was still delicious! I went back for seconds, which I NEVER do. The crust is similar to that of French onion soup...the tops were cruncy and the bottoms soaked up the gumbo liquid. Highly recommend!
Sausage Gumbo Pot Pie With Garlic Bread Crust
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup instant roux mix
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen okra
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) French baguette, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Garnish: finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Sauté first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until browned; stir in roux mix. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and next 5 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Pour into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 2. Stir together butter and garlic; brush on one side of bread slices. Top sausage mixture evenly with bread slices, buttered side up.
- 3. Bake, covered, at 425° for 10 minutes; uncover and bake 10 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Tony Chachere's Creole Instant Roux Mix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note