Great sub sammy recipe. It came together really fast and was easy to prepare. It was very flavorful.. hello you get to melt cheese on top.. who doesn't like that?
Satisfy a craving for a hot, Italian-style sub. Sausage stands in for traditional meatballs in this sandwich, and sliced fennel adds an herbal note.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 21 Minutes
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 17.7g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 822mg
- Calcium: 185mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces chicken and sun-dried tomato sausage, thinly diagonally sliced
- 4 (2-ounce) submarine rolls or hoagie rolls
- 1/2 cup tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices provolone cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, fennel, and garlic; sauté for 4 minutes. Add sausage, and sauté for 3 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned and vegetables begin to brown.
- 3. Arrange rolls, cut sides up, in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Spoon about 2/3 cup sausage mixture on the bottom half of each roll, and top each with 2 tablespoons sauce. Place 2 cheese slices over sauce. Arrange sandwiches on baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
This updated version of Sausage Fennel Subs is based on a recipe that originally ran in Cooking Light, May 2010. The recipe was retested and updated for Cooking Light Crave!, Oxmoor House, 2013.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note