- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces chicken and sun-dried tomato sausage, thinly diagonally sliced
- 4 (2-ounce) submarine rolls or hoagie rolls
- 1/2 cup tomato-basil pasta sauce
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices provolone cheese
- calories 326
- fat 12.3 g
- satfat 4.7 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 2.4 g
- protein 17.7 g
- carbohydrate 41 g
- fiber 3.7 g
- cholesterol 54 mg
- iron 1.4 mg
- sodium 822 mg
- calcium 185 mg
How to Make It
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, fennel, and garlic; sauté for 4 minutes. Add sausage, and sauté for 3 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned and vegetables begin to brown.
Arrange rolls, cut sides up, in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until toasted. Spoon about 2/3 cup sausage mixture on the bottom half of each roll, and top each with 2 tablespoons sauce. Place 2 cheese slices over sauce. Arrange sandwiches on baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts.
This updated version of Sausage Fennel Subs is based on a recipe that originally ran in Cooking Light, May 2010. The recipe was retested and updated for Cooking Light Crave!, Oxmoor House, 2013.