Sausage, Fennel, and Provolone Calzones
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 409
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 16.3g
- Carbohydrate: 58.9g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 474mg
- Calcium: 162mg
- 4 ounces sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 medium bulb)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- All-purpose Pizza Dough
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated sharp provolone cheese
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- Remove casing from sausage. Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add fennel, bell pepper, and onion. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 9 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Divide the prepared dough evenly into 6 equal portions on a lightly floured surface; shape each piece into a ball. Roll each ball into a 6-inch circle. Combine egg and water with a whisk in a small bowl. Brush edge of each circle with egg mixture; reserve remaining egg mixture.
- Place 2/3 cup sausage mixture on half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border, and sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Fold dough over sausage mixture until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edge over top edge; crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Place the calzones on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Brush tops with reserved egg mixture. Bake at 450° for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note