Sausage and Eggplant Stew
Photo: Ryan Benyi; Styling: Gerri Williams for James Reps
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 453
- Fat: 38g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Sodium: 1144mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds Italian sausages, cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium eggplants (about 2 lb. total), ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, brown sausages on all sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer to slow cooker.
- 2. Add onion and garlic to skillet and stir until onion has softened, 2 to 3 minutes. If skillet is very dry, add a tablespoon or two of water. Sprinkle eggplants with 1 tsp. salt and add to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and juice, scraping up brown bits on skillet, and transfer to cooker on top of sausages.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours. Season with salt, stir in basil and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note