I had this at a "brunch" themed dinner party over the weekend. It was prepared exactly as stated in the recipe and was DELISH! Very hearty and satisfying egg dish.
Sausage, Egg & Kale Strata
Community Recipe from
- 3/4 pound(s) breakfast sausage
- Serves 8Hands-On Time: 30mTotal Time: 2hr 30m
- 3/4 pound breakfast sausage, casings removed
- 7 cups chopped curly kale leaves (from 1 bunch)
- 1/2 loaf multigrain bread, cubed (about 5 cups)
- unsalted butter, for the baking dish
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 ounces Manchego or fontina cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into pieces, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add as much kale as will fit. Cook, tossing and adding more kale as there is room, until wilted but still bright green, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Place the bread in a buttered 3-quart or 9-by- 13-inch baking dish and top with the cooked sausage and kale.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Stir in the cheese. Pour over the bread mixture; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 350° F. (If the strata is refrigerated overnight, remove from the refrigerator 40 minutes before baking.) Bake until golden brown and set around the edges but still slightly wobbly in the center, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- By Sarah Copeland, December 2013
- Nutritional Information
- Per Serving
- Calories 465
- Fat 30g
- Sat Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 371mg
- Sodium 909mg
- Protein 27g
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 508mg
This recipe is a personal recipe added by acrane and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sausage, Egg & Kale Strata Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch