Really tasty. Used homemade pizza dough, added a few sprinkles of chile flakes and swapped mache for the arugula (because I don't like arugula). Will definitely be making again.
Sausage and Egg Flatbread
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
With its lemony arugula garnish, this light entrée would be good for brunch or Sunday supper.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 square)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 288
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 17.1g
- Carbohydrate: 27.7g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 234mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 676mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 1 (11-ounce) can refrigerated French bread dough
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4-ounce) turkey Italian sausage, casing removed, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Find lengthwise seam in dough. Beginning at seam, gently unroll dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough crosswise into 2 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 15 x 6-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place each rectangle on a baking sheet sprinkled with 1 teaspoon cornmeal.
- 3. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and turkey Italian sausage to pan; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring to crumble. Divide sausage mixture evenly between rectangles, spreading evenly down length of dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border on each; top each rectangle evenly with 1/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Break 3 eggs onto each flatbread, spacing evenly lengthwise; sprinkle evenly with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until eggs are set. Turn oven off; leave flatbreads in oven with oven door closed for 4 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Remove from oven.
- 4. Combine arugula, fresh lemon juice, and extra-virgin olive oil; toss. Arrange arugula mixture evenly over flatbreads. Cut each flatbread crosswise into 3 squares; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes