Used whole-grain pizza crust, prepared the night before and allowed to rise overnight in the fridge. Skipped the onions; could have used more eggs. A picture would have been helpful in making the criss-cross pattern. Would make again with more filling.
Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Braid
Save this filling breakfast bread for a morning when you aren't rushed. Young bakers will enjoy helping fill and then braid the dough. Feel free to substitute a milder cheese in place of the Monterey Jack.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 13.4g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 679mg
- Calcium: 115mg
- 1 (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces chicken sausage with apples, chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2. Unroll dough onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat into a 15 x 10-inch rectangle.
- 3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sausage; cook 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in eggs; cook 1 minute or until set. Remove from heat.
- 4. Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese lengthwise down center of dough, leaving a 2 1/2-inch border on each side. Spoon egg mixture over cheese. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over egg mixture.
- 5. Make 2-inch-long diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on both sides of dough to within 1/2 inch of filling using a sharp knife or kitchen shears. Alternately arrange strips diagonally over filling. Fold ends under to seal. Brush with egg white.
- 6. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into slices.
- Young Chefs can:
- Unroll dough
- Sprinkle cheese
- Older Chefs can:
- Pat dough into rectangle and measure dimensions
- Brush dough with egg white
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This