This was kind of bland, it needed something to give it a little "umph." Might try it again and add a few variations. Very easy and quick to put together though!
Sausage and Chicken Gumbo
Sausage and Chicken Gumbo is a hearty and filling meal that's great for weeknights. The frozen vegetables speed along the cooking process and you can add additional spices to flavor the meal to your taste.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 369
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3g
- Protein: 29.4g
- Carbohydrate: 37g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 949mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag rice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 cup frozen chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup frozen cut okra
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 8 ounces turkey kielbasa, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with peppers and onion
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, combine flour and oil in a Dutch oven; saute over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add onion and next 6 ingredients (onion through red pepper); cook 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chicken, kielbasa, tomatoes, and broth; cook 6 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note