Didn't live up to my expectations. Incredibly bland flavor, the sausage couldn't make up for the lack of seasoning in the rest of the dish.
Sausage, Cherry Tomato, and Hash Brown Casserole
Serve this casserole as a side dish for a casual meal or as the main dish with coffee and fresh fruit at breakfast or brunch.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 208
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 10.7g
- Carbohydrate: 26.9g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 384mg
- Calcium: 109mg
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces 50%-less-fat pork sausage
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 7 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, partially thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large skillet over medium heat; cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble sausage. Stir in 1/2 cup water, tomato paste, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Spoon mixture into a large bowl. Add potatoes and mozzarella; toss well. Spoon potato mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Set aside. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- Place pan over medium-high heat. Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add tomatoes to pan; cook 3 minutes or just until heated. Arrange tomatoes in an even layer over potato mixture. Drizzle with broth; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle evenly with basil and Parmesan. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sausage, Cherry Tomato, and Hash Brown Casserole Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This