Loved this recipe! Super simple to make and tastes great! I didn't do the "overnight" soak and loved the texture / results; I also don't use egg substitute so I just added 2 cups of eggs to the recipe and used 3 quality fresh white bread rolls torn into pieces (crusts on). For personal preference, I subbed out the cheddar cheese for pepper jack. Total cook time needed about 5 more minutes, but final result was excellent; nice and fluffy from the bread and eggs. Next time I will be adding some vegetables to give it that much more heft. Leftovers taste excellent too - enjoy!
Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Prep this the night before for an easy breakfast or brunch. Find turkey sausage in the freezer section of the supermarket with other breakfast meats.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 9 Hours, 43 Minutes
- Calories: 245
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 18.5g
- Carbohydrate: 20.4g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 609mg
- Calcium: 185mg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 12 ounces turkey breakfast sausage
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 16 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded reduced-fat extrasharp cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage to pan; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking sausage to crumble. Remove from heat; cool.
- 2. Combine milk and next 6 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Trim crusts from bread. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Add bread cubes, sausage, and cheddar cheese to milk mixture, stirring to combine. Pour bread mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking or 3-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray, spreading egg mixture evenly in baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 5. Remove casserole from refrigerator; let stand 30 minutes. Sprinkle casserole evenly with paprika. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note