Sausage and Cheddar Grits with Fried Eggs
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 317
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Protein: 18g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 254mg
- Sodium: 847mg
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup stone-ground grits (white or yellow)
- 8 ounces bulk pork breakfast sausage (7 to 8 links)
- 3 ounces sharp Cheddar, coarsely shredded (3/4 cup packed)
- 4 large eggs
- In a medium-size saucepan over high heat, bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add salt, reduce heat to medium and slowly whisk in grits. Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, until grits are tender and thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut off ends of sausage casings. Squeeze out sausage meat and discard casings. Cook sausage in a medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon (to crumble large pieces) until fully cooked, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Leave accumulated fat in pan.
- Remove grits from heat and stir in cheese and cooked sausage.
- Return frying pan with fat to medium-high heat. Carefully crack eggs into frying pan one at a time. Cook until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. (For firmer yolks, flip eggs and cook for 1 minute longer.) Spoon grits mixture onto individual plates and top each serving with an egg. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch