- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 large onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan, optional
- calories 340
- fat 13 g
- satfat 4 g
- protein 26 g
- carbohydrate 31 g
- fiber 8 g
- cholesterol 23 mg
- sodium 1289 mg
How to Make It
Warm oil in a pot over medium heat and cook sausage until browned, about 10 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add onion and celery to pot and sauté until beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add garlic and red pepper; sauté for 1 minute.
Pour in broth, raise heat to high and bring just to a boil, scraping up brown bits from pot. Return sausage to pot; stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to low; simmer for 15 minutes.
Season soup with salt and pepper. Stir in chard; cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley and top with Parmesan, if desired.
Make it ahead TO FREEZE: Do not add chard or parsley. Let soup cool. Transfer to a freezer-safe container (leave 1/2-inch space at the top) and freeze. TO SERVE: Thaw in fridge overnight. Reheat over medium-low heat, stirring, for 35 minutes. Stir in chard and parsley; cook for 1 minute.