- 12 ounces linguiça (Portuguese) or Polish sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) wheat beer (hefeweizen; see notes)
- 1 pound thin-skinned potatoes (1 1/2 in. wide), scrubbed and quartered
- 1 1/2 quarts finely shredded cabbage (8 to 12 oz.; see notes)
- 1 cup sliced carrots (1/4 in. thick; see notes)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Whole-grain mustard
- calories 301
- caloriesfromfat 48 %
- protein 17 g
- fat 16 g
- satfat 5.6 g
- carbohydrate 23 g
- fiber 3.4 g
- sodium 697 mg
- cholesterol 38 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir sausage often until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon out and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
Add onion and garlic to pan; stir often until limp, 3 minutes.
Increase heat to high. Add broth, beer, potatoes, cabbage, carrots, coriander, allspice, and peppercorns (wrap and tie spices in cheesecloth if desired). Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender to bite, 10 to 15 minutes. Discard spices if wrapped.
Stir in parsley. Ladle soup into bowls. Serve mustard alongside to add to taste.