- 1 (8-ounce) package frozen veggie breakfast sausage links (such as Morningstar Farms)
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon light stick butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions (about 6 onions)
- 2/3 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 slices light white bread (such as Nature's Own Light White), cubed
- 1 (8-ounce) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- calories 262
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- fat 12 g
- satfat 5.8 g
- protein 22.2 g
- carbohydrate 17.1 g
- fiber 4.6 g
- cholesterol 104 mg
- iron 3.1 mg
- sodium 761 mg
- calcium 333 mg
How to Make It
Place frozen sausage in a large skillet coated with cooking spray; cook over medium heat until lightly browned on all sides and thawed, stirring frequently (about 8 minutes). Remove from pan to cool. Cut sausages into 1/2-inch slices.
Heat butter in pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, and sauté 4 minutes. Add onions; sauté 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in tomato and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Coat an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray, and place half of bread cubes in bottom of dish. Top with half of sausage, half of vegetable mixture, and half of cheese. Repeat layers with remaining bread cubes, sausage, vegetable mixture, and cheese.
Combine egg substitute, eggs, milk, mustard, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour mixture evenly over casserole. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
Let casserole stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 10 minutes.