this was easy peasy. I used spicy Italian turkey sausage. about a tsp of brown sugar, added some zucchini, and skipped the bread crumb step. Was nice and tasty and filling. Will definitely make this again and again.
Sausage and Bean Casserole
Simple and satisfying, this hearty sausage and bean casserole is fast enough to prepare on a busy evening.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 205
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 12.1g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 823mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 (16-ounce) package light smoked turkey sausage (such as Hillshire Farm), cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 3 (1-ounce) slices white bread
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and turkey sausage to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until browned. Add garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar, tomato paste, dried thyme, freshly ground black pepper, cannellini beans, and bay leaf. Add ground red pepper, if desired. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place bread in a food processor, and pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 1/2 cups.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over bean mixture, and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until browned. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles