A solid recipe - not a "wow" though so it's probably not a keeper for us. Overall, this dish came out really well (the cornbread was dry when you first bake it, but don't panic because it needs to be to support the stock & egg mix during the bake & not be soggy). My bake time was significantly less than the 50 minutes (I think I still had 17 minutes on the timer when I could see / smell it was nice & browned). I did omit the fennel as I don't care for that flavor, but threw in leaks instead. Otherwise I made as directed and it was tasty, but again, it had not "cravability" for our tastes so I personally won't be making this again. However, it's a decent / solid stuffing and if you are looking for a traditional cornbread dressing, this is a good place to start in your recipe hunt.
Sausage, Apple, and Fennel Corn Bread Dressing
Prepare the corn bread up to two days ahead.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 212
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Carbohydrate: 26.9g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 458mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- Corn bread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 ounces lean, low-sodium smoked turkey sausage, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced fennel bulb
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare corn bread, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, canola oil, and 1 egg in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- To prepare stuffing, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and bay leaf; cook 8 minutes or until onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add apple, celery, and fennel; cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
- Crumble corn bread into a large bowl. Add sausage mixture to bowl; toss to combine. Add broth and 2 eggs; toss to combine. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until top is crisp and golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables