Made this and really enjoyed it. It does get done a lot quicker than the time specified. I did make with a Jiffy cornbread mix due to time constraints, but plan on making it following the recipe for Thanksgiving this year.
Sausage, Apple, and Fennel Corn Bread Dressing
This dressing combines all the best fall flavors, sweet and savory, in one flavor-packed side dish. Try it with your turkey and gravy this Thanksgiving!
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 212
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 7.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Carbohydrate: 26.9g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 458mg
- Calcium: 83mg
- Corn bread:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 ounces lean, low-sodium smoked turkey sausage, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced fennel bulb
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare corn bread, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Combine milk, canola oil, and 1 egg in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 16 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- To prepare stuffing, heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add onion and bay leaf; cook 8 minutes or until onion starts to brown, stirring occasionally. Add apple, celery, and fennel; cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper); cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
- Crumble corn bread into a large bowl. Add sausage mixture to bowl; toss to combine. Add broth and 2 eggs; toss to combine. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until top is crisp and golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note