- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 peeled apple rings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Warm applesauce (optional)
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set aside.
- Arrange apple rings in bottom of a greased 9-inch pie plate; sprinkle one-third of sausage over apples. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Combine milk, egg, and reserved drippings; stir into dry ingredients, mixing well. Stir in remaining sausage. Pour cornbread mixture into prepared pie plate
- Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown. Remove from oven, and immediately invert pie plate onto a serving dish. Cut cornbread into wedges, and serve with warm applesauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This