Sausage-and-Wild Rice Casserole
More From Southern Living
Bake: 1 Hour
Stand: 5 Minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (1-lb.) package sage ground pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (6-oz.) packages long-grain and wild rice mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Heat 1/2 cup chopped pecans in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until toasted. Remove toasted pecans from skillet.
- 2. Brown sausage in same skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove sausage from skillet using a slotted spoon; reserve drippings in skillet.
- 3. Melt butter in hot drippings over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and sauté 10 to 15 minutes or until celery is tender.
- 4. Remove 1 seasoning packet from rice mixes; reserve for another use. Combine sausage, vegetable mixture, remaining seasoning packet, rice, and next 3 ingredients in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Stir in chicken broth until well blended.
- 5. Bake, covered, at 325° for 1 hour or until liquid is almost absorbed. Let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note