Yield: 12 (3-inch) muffins or 2 1/2 dozen mini muffins
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose baking mix
- 2 cups (8-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup hot or mild ground pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
- Poppy seeds (optional)
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
- Combine baking mix and half of cheese in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Stir together milk and egg, blending well; add to cheese mixture, stirring until moistened. Stir in onion and sausage. Spoon into lightly greased muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese, Sprinkle with poppy seeds, if desired.
- Bake at 425º for 18 minutes or until golden. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes before removing from pans.
- Note: Substitute mini muffin pans for regular pans, if desired. Bake at 425º for 14 minutes or until golden. Makes 2 1/2 dozen mini muffins.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sausage-and-Cheese Muffins Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads, Breakfast/Brunch
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Quick/Easy
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Cheese, Pork, Sausage
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Birthdays/Anniversaries, Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Super Bowl
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living