What a delight on a snowy winter's night! I made this recipe in the slow cooker (5 hours on High for a four pound roast), and served it with cheese & carmelized onion spaetzle as well as red cabbage. It felt like I was channeling my inner German grandma.
More From Southern Living
Marinate: 8 Hours
- 3 tablespoons pickling spice
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup Burgundy
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (4-pound) sirloin tip roast
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup crushed gingersnaps (about 12)
- Tie pickling spice in a cheesecloth bag.
- Combine spice bag, onion, and next 7 ingredients in a shallow dish or large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; add roast. Cover or seal, and chill 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade.
- Brown roast in hot oil in a Dutch oven. Remove roast, reserving drippings in pan. Whisk flour and sugar into reserved drippings, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 2 minutes or until browned. Gradually stir in reserved marinade. Return roast to pan; bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours.
- Discard spice bag and bay leaves. Remove roast, reserving drippings in pan; slice and keep warm.
- Stir gingersnaps into reserved drippings in Dutch oven; simmer, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Pour mixture through a colander into a bowl. Press vegetables through colander with back of a spoon. Serve gravy with roast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes