This recipe is completely bland and tasteless. The sauce is watery and useless. If you make this, I would suggest cutting the porcini water in half or consider omitting it from the sauce completely. The cooking method for the chicken is fine and there are lots of mushrooms, which is great, but the sauce....its just there. We had to salt this to be able to eat it and that clearly reduces the health benefits of a Cooking Light recipe.
Saucy Chicken Marsala
"They'll never know it was so easy" dinner-party dish.
When we revisited David Bonom's 2010 recipe Chicken and Mushrooms with Marsala Wine Sauce, we loved it but wanted more of the earthy, wine-licked sauce. Our update keeps the soul of the original dish, but with more luscious, 'shroomy goodness. You simply must serve it over mashed potatoes, polenta, or spaghetti to catch all the sauce.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 40.5g
- Carbohydrate: 12.1g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 585mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced button mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
- 1/4 cup small fresh basil leaves
- 1. Place porcini mushrooms in a medium bowl; cover with 2 cups boiling water. Cover and let stand 30 minutes or until tender. Drain in a sieve over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- 2. Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/2-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper over chicken. Heat a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and done. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.
- 3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; porcini, shiitake, and button mushrooms; and oregano. Sauté 6 minutes or until mushrooms release moisture and darken. Sprinkle with flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in stock, wine, and porcini soaking liquid; cook 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes or until heated, turning chicken once. Sprinkle with basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note