Satiny Mocha Torte
- 3/4 cup whole hazelnuts in the skins
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix without pudding
- 2 (2.8-ounce) packages mocha mousse mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Swiss-style flavored instant coffee powder
- 6 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Place hazelnuts in an ungreased 15" x 10" x 1" jellyroll pan. Toast at 350° for 12 minutes or until skins begin to split. Transfer hot nuts to a colander; cover with a kitchen towel. Rub nuts briskly with towel to remove skins. Let nuts cool, and chop.
- Grease and flour two 9" cakepans. Prepare cake mix according to package directions; pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes; remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Prepare mousse mix according to package directions, using 1 1/3 cups milk; cover and chill.
- Split cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer on a serving plate lined with wax paper. Spread one-third of mousse over layer. Repeat procedure with second and third layers and remaining mousse. Top stack with fourth layer. Chill 30 minutes.
- Combine whipping cream and coffee powder in a saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat; add chocolate. Let stand 1 minute. Stir until chocolate melts. Cool 30 minutes.
- Pour chocolate glaze over torte, letting excess drip down sides onto wax paper. Using a small spatula, smooth excess glaze onto sides of torte. Gently press hazelnuts onto sides of glazed torte. Carefully pull wax paper from beneath torte. Store in refrigerator.
- Note: We used Duncan Hines devil's food cake mix, Nestle mocha mousse mixes, and General Foods International Coffees Suisse Mocha.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts