Sardine BLTs with Herbs and Lemon
Photo: Thomas J. Story
Take your BLTs to the next level with sardines, arugula and zesty, homemade Parsley Chive Mayo!
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
- PARSLEY CHIVE MAYO
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Finely shredded zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices bacon
- 8 sardines (1 1/3 lbs. total), cleaned and filleted*
- 4 crusty rolls, split and toasted in oven
- About 2 cups lightly packed arugula
- 8 tomato slices
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Mix mayo ingredients in a small bowl; chill. Cook bacon until crisp in a 12-in. frying pan, transfer to paper towels, and reserve fat in pan.
- 2. Cook sardines skin side down in fat (in 2 batches if needed) over medium-high heat until opaque, tipping pan often and spooning fat over fish. Drain fish on paper towels.
- 3. Spread rolls with parsley chive mayo. Layer arugula, tomatoes, bacon, and sardines in rolls and cut in half.
- *Ask your fishmonger to clean and fillet sardines for you, or do it yourself (see "How to Clean and Fillet Sardines" at sunset.com/smartseafood).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches