Sara's Grilled Chicken-Cornbread Salad
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 4 applewood-smoked bacon slices
- 1 (6-ounce) package cornbread mix
- Smoky Chicken Thighs
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked fresh lima or butter beans
- 1 cup cooked fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 8 large tomatoes
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- Cut bacon into 1/4-inch pieces; cook in a 6 1/2-inch cast-iron skillet until crisp. Remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Prepare cornbread batter according to package directions; pour batter into hot drippings in skillet.
- Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown; cool completely in skillet on a wire rack. Break or cut cornbread into small (about 1-inch) pieces; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake cornbread pieces at 425° for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove skin and bones from Smoky Chicken Thighs; cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Gently fold chopped chicken, cornbread, bacon, lima beans, corn, and red bell pepper into mayonnaise mixture.
- Cut a 1/4-inch slice from tops of tomatoes; scoop out and discard pulp, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell. Spoon about 2/3 cup chicken mixture into each tomato. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note