- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed, cored, and cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1/4 cup vin santo (or other sweet white or pink dessert wine)
- 2 tablespoons ouzo
- 1/2 cup pitted mixed green and black olives
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano leaves, divided
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
How to Make It
Preheat broiler to high. Place bell pepper on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet; coat with 1 tablespoon oil. Broil 12 minutes or until charred, turning once. Place pepper in a bowl; cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel pepper; discard skin and seeds. Cut pepper into strips.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large, high-sided sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add fennel, cut sides down, to skillet. Cook 3 minutes or until caramelized. Sprinkle with sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Turn fennel; reduce heat to medium, and cook 5 minutes or until remaining sides are caramelized and tender. Remove from pan. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
Add remaining 1/4 cup oil and garlic to pan over medium-high heat. When garlic begins to sizzle, add shrimp. Cook 2 minutes; add wine and ouzo. Bring to a simmer; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through. Add caramelized fennel, roasted bell pepper strips, olives, lemon juice, black pepper, half of oregano leaves, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing to coat, 1 minute or until mixture is heated through. Garnish with remaining oregano; serve with lemon wedges.