- 1 red onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into 2-inch strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut lengthwise into 2-inch strips
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, quartered lengthwise, cored, and seeded (about 8 medium)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 3 to 4 jalapeño peppers, quartered lengthwise, cored, seeded, and pith removed
- 4 tomatillos, husked, quartered lengthwise, cored, seeded, and pith removed
- 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Garnish: Toasted Tortilla Strips
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Spread first 3 ingredients on a baking sheet, and roast on middle oven shelf 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven, and let cool.
Halve tomato quarters crosswise, and pulse in a food processor in 2 batches until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large nonreactive bowl.
Pulse garlic in food processor until finely minced, scraping bowl as needed. Add jalapeño, and pulse until finely chopped. Add tomatillo, and pulse until finely chopped; add mixture to tomato.
Chop roasted onion and bell peppers. If bell pepper skins are loose, remove before chopping. Add to tomato mixture. Stir in corn and next 4 ingredients, cover, and chill at least 2 hours.
Stir in cilantro, ladle into well-chilled large soup bowls, and garnish, if desired.