It was not terrible. But it was probably close to the worst cake I've made from a cooking light cake recipe. I would agree it was pretty floury. Also, I thought the salt on the cake was very over powering. I'll definitley NOT make this again, when there are so many good cakes out there..
Salted Chocolate Ganache Cake
Photo: Ellen Silverman; Styling: Debra Williams
Choose a premium chocolate bar for this simple one-layer cake. Make up to one day ahead, and store in an airtight container.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 263
- Fat: 10.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 37.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 248mg
- Calcium: 156mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cake flour
- 5.3 ounces sifted cake flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or fleur de sel
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Coat 1 (9-inch) round cake pan with cooking spray; dust with 2 teaspoons flour.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon 5.3 ounces flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl; stir with a whisk. Place 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add egg; mix well. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- 4. Beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy using clean, dry beaters. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold half of egg white mixture into flour mixture; fold in remaining egg white mixture. Grate 1/2 ounce chocolate; fold grated chocolate into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5. Chop the remaining 2 ounces chocolate. Combine chopped chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 1 minute or until chocolate melts, stirring every 15 seconds. Spread chocolate mixture over top of cake; sprinkle evenly with sea salt. Cut into 8 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Salted Chocolate Ganache Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This