oh my!! these are awesome! everyone went nuts!!! i made both versions, original and with chocolate topping. (used semi-sweet chips but will use dark choc next time) toasted pecans ahead of time. after trying to cut the originals with scissors and not really doing justice (were still sorta gooey) i put the choc ones in the freezer for about 15 min. the foil backing peeled off in 1 piece and i cut them with a knife in perfect pieces on a cutting board. kept all in refrigerator until my event. def a keeper! some also commented they tasted like pecan pie.. very easy to make.
Salted Caramel-Pecan Bars
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Buffy Hargett
This is a classic recipe updated with a sprinkle of kosher salt.
Yield: Makes 4 dozen
More From Southern Living
1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 to 12 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Line a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil; lightly grease foil. Arrange graham crackers in a single layer in prepared pan, slightly overlapping edges.
- 3. Combine sugar, butter, and cream in a medium-size heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and pecans. Pour butter mixture over crackers, spreading to coat.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 10 to 11 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
- 5. Immediately sprinkle with salt, and slide foil from pan onto a wire rack. Cool completely (about 30 minutes). Break into bars.
- Try This Twist!
- Chocolate-Pecan-Caramel Bars: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 4. Top warm bars with 1 cup dark chocolate morsels. Let stand 3 minutes, and spread chocolate over bars. Proceed with recipe as directed in Step 5. Chill 20 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cookies