Salt-and-Pepper Roast Turkey (Tacchino Arrosto con Sale e Pepe)
If desired, rub the turkey with the salt and pepper the night before roasting to slightly "cure" the meat.
Yield: 10 to 17 servings (serving size: 1/4 pound boned cooked turkey with skin)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 240
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 2.9g
- Sodium: 376mg
- Cholesterol: 93mg
- 1 turkey (14 to 23 lb.)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 5 or 6 thyme sprigs (about 5 in.)
- 5 or 6 marjoram sprigs (about 6 in.)
- 1. Remove and discard leg truss from turkey. Pull off and discard any lumps of fat. Remove giblets and neck; save for Rich Poultry Broth. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry and rub all over with about 1/4 cup olive oil. Mix 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon pepper; rub evenly over skin and inside the bird. If desired, wrap airtight and chill 12 to 24 hours.
- 2. Place turkey, breast up, on a V-shaped rack in a 12-by 17-inch roasting pan; tuck thyme and marjoram sprigs inside body cavity.
- 3. Roast turkey in a 325º oven until thermometer inserted through thickest part of breast to the bone registers 160º, 2 to 3 hours.
- 4. Transfer turkey to a platter. Let stand in a warm place and rest at least 30 minutes, then carve. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- (Nutritional analysis per 1/4 boned cooked turkey with skin, based on percentages of white and dark meat in an average bird.)
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes