We made this on Thanksgiving and it turned out wonderfully. We followed the recipe exactly. The crust was nice and salty and the meat was moist and juicy. We received many compliments. Must try!
Salt-and-Pepper Beef Roast
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 1.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 233mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 4 to 6 pounds boned, tied beef cross rib (chuck) roast
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground pepper (see notes)
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1. Rinse beef and pat dry. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup salt and sugar. Rub mixture all over beef, set in a rimmed pan, cover, and chill 3 to 4 hours. Rinse meat and pat dry; if desired, cover and chill up to 1 day.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and horseradish. Set beef on a rack in a 9- by 13-inch pan. Pat horseradish mixture over the top and sides of beef.
- 3. Roast in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until a meat thermometer inserted in center of thickest part reaches 120° to 125°, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove from oven and let stand in a warm place at least 20 minutes.
- 4. Transfer meat to a rimmed platter or board; scrape any pan juices into a small bowl. Cut meat across the grain into very thin slices (see notes). Spoon pan juices onto portions.
For a mellow flavor, use the Spice Hunter's white peppercorns, from Sarawak in Malaysia; you'll find them with the spices at most supermarkets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This