tried it loved it outstanding!
Salt-and-Pepper Beef Roast
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 1.3g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 233mg
- Cholesterol: 79mg
- 4 to 6 pounds boned, tied beef cross rib (chuck) roast
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground pepper (see notes)
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1. Rinse beef and pat dry. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup salt and sugar. Rub mixture all over beef, set in a rimmed pan, cover, and chill 3 to 4 hours. Rinse meat and pat dry; if desired, cover and chill up to 1 day.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, pepper, and horseradish. Set beef on a rack in a 9- by 13-inch pan. Pat horseradish mixture over the top and sides of beef.
- 3. Roast in a 375° regular or 350° convection oven until a meat thermometer inserted in center of thickest part reaches 120° to 125°, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Remove from oven and let stand in a warm place at least 20 minutes.
- 4. Transfer meat to a rimmed platter or board; scrape any pan juices into a small bowl. Cut meat across the grain into very thin slices (see notes). Spoon pan juices onto portions.
For a mellow flavor, use the Spice Hunter's white peppercorns, from Sarawak in Malaysia; you'll find them with the spices at most supermarkets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note