I made this last weekend and it was a HIT!! My picky 13 yr old said it was her new favorite dish! My husband even ate it, he doesn't like sour cream. (I also didn't tell him!) However, I did tweak it a little on accident and for time saving purposes. I used the frozen pre-grilled chicken strips. I thawed and then cut them into cubes. I accidently grabbed cream of mushroom instead of cream of chicken. (Still yummy.) I also baked it for 30 min before putting cheese on it. I used Monterey Jack AND cheddar. I also used a can of diced tomatoes w/ green chilies that I drained. I "sprinkled" the tomatoes over the top of the cheese and then put the casserole back into the oven just to melt the cheese and heat the tomatoes; about 5 min.
Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
More From Southern Living
- 2 (3.5-oz.) bags boil-in-bag rice
- 2 ripe avocados
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup (4 oz.) grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Topping: chopped tomatoes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut avocados in half. Scoop avocado pulp into a medium bowl, and mash with salsa verde, chopped green chiles, and lime juice. Stir in hot cooked rice.
- 3. Stir together chicken, soup, and sour cream in a small saucepan over low heat; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until blended and slightly heated.
- 4. Spoon rice mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; spoon chicken mixture over rice. Sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Top with chopped tomatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This