One more vote. Had an 8 pound pork shoulder so I doubled this recipe and used the slow cooker method but listened to comments and went for 8 hours on low. With such a large piece of meat all the liquid wouldn't fit in the crock pot so I saved it and reduced along with juices from the crock pot. Everyone loved this.
Salsa Verde Braised Pork
Leigh Beisch; Merilee Bordin
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 571
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 36g
- Fat: 40g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sodium: 1101mg
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- 3 1/2 pounds bone-in pork shoulder (aka pork butt)
- 1 bottle (15 oz.) salsa verde
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus some leaves
- 1. Trim excess pork fat. Put meat in a large casserole or Dutch oven with salsa, onion, broth, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced, about 3 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. With 2 wide spatulas, transfer meat to a rimmed baking pan. Bake until richly browned, 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, skim and discard fat from pan juices. Boil juices, stirring, until reduced to 2 3/4 cups, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4. With 2 forks, tear meat into large shreds. Add to pan and stir in chopped cilantro. Season with salt. Spoon into a serving bowl and sprinkle with cilantro leaves. Serve with tortillas and more salsa verde.
- Note: Nutrition analysis is per serving.
- Slow-cooker Salsa Verde Pork: Put trimmed pork in a slow cooker (5 to 6 qt.) and turn heat to high. In a pan, bring salsa, onion, broth, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and oregano to a boil. Pour over pork, cover, and cook until meat is very tender when pierced and registers at least 165° on an instant-read thermometer, at least 7 or up to 9 hours. Continue recipe with step 2, using a large pot for step 3.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes