This garlicky, herby Italian sauce is a classic with roast beef. Although using a mortar gives the sauce a nice coarse texture, you can also make it in a food processor.
This recipe goes with Grass-Fed Top Round Roast
More From Sunset
- Calories: 125
- Calories from fat: 85%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 3.1g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Sodium: 180mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- 1/2 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 9 salt-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed; or oil-packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons salt-packed capers, soaked in water and drained, or rinsed brined capers, divided
- Yolks from 3 hard-cooked large eggs
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. canned tomato paste
- 2 1/4 cups packed roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- About 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1. Stir bread crumbs and vinegar together in a small bowl and let sit 5 minutes.
- 2. Pound anchovies, garlic, and 4 tbsp. capers into a paste in a mortar. Add egg yolks and tomato paste, then parsley, and pound to mix. Pound in bread crumbs. Stir in enough oil to make a thick sauce. If using a food processor, whirl soaked bread crumbs with anchovies, garlic, 4 tbsp. capers, the yolks, tomato paste, and parsley; then drizzle in the oil.
- 3. Turn into a bowl and top with remaining 2 tbsp. capers.
- Make ahead: Up to 1 week, chilled, with plastic wrap pressed against surface.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note