Great flavor. Does take time, but it's worth it. This is the bowl everybody gathers around.
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr
Instead of buying bottled salsa, make it fresh with two kinds of chiles.
Yield: Serves 8 (serving size: 1/4 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 34
- Fat: 0.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Sodium: 146mg
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound tomatillos, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup chopped white onion
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 fresh serrano chile, finely chopped
- Broil poblano peppers 5 minutes per side or until blackened. Place in a small paper bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes; peel and chop. Bring chicken broth and tomatillos to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover and simmer 8 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 20 minutes. Pour into a blender. Add lime juice and garlic cloves; process until smooth. Pour into a bowl; stir in poblanos, onion, cilantro, kosher salt, and chopped serrano chile. Chill.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Salsa Verde Recipe at a Glance