Salsa Ranchera (Ranch-Style Sauce)
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
Time: 15 minutes. If using for huevos rancheros, make the salsa first and keep it warm while you make the eggs.
Yield: Makes about 2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 48
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 0.7g
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 146mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups canned fire-roasted tomatoes (such as Muir Glen brand)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 serrano chiles, toasted all over in a dry skillet, stemmed, and finely chopped
- Mexican-style hot sauce (optional)
- 1. Put onion with oil in a medium pot over medium heat and cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, put tomatoes, garlic, and chiles in a blender and pulse a few times (leave the mixture a little chunky).
- 2. Pour tomato mixture into pot with onions and cook 5 minutes over high heat to thicken. Taste and add hot sauce if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments