More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 6.5
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Protein: 0.2g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 1.4mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 ounce (2 to 4) dried New Mexico chilies
- 1 dried ancho chili
- 3 firm-ripe tomatoes (3/4 lb. total), cored
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh jalapeño chili
- 1 to 2 tablespoons tequila
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Bake dried chilies in a rimmed pan in a 250° oven until fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Cool briefly, then break off and discard stems. Shake out and discard seeds. Place chilies in a bowl and pour 1 cup boiling water over them. Let stand until soft, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, broil tomatoes in a rimmed pan about 4 inches from heat, turning as needed, until charred, 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool.
- 3. With a slotted spoon, transfer soaked chilies to a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth, adding about 3 tablespoons of the soaking water to blend smoothly. Discard remaining water.
- 4. Add to blender the roasted tomatoes, onion, garlic, lime juice, and fresh chili. Whirl until coarsely puréed. Season to taste with tequila and salt, then stir in cilantro.
- Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Salsa Borracho Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments