Wow! This had wonderful flavors and crunch. Great use for the smoked salmon from my fisherman brother in law. Will definitely make again.
Smoked Salmon and Wheat Berry Salad
This salad is all about crunch, with toasted walnuts, crisp apple, and celery. Look for wheat berries in the grain or bulk section of your supermarket. Save your celery leaves for a beautiful and delicious garnish.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 9 Hours, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 389
- Fat: 18.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 7.9g
- Protein: 14.9g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 8.8g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 570mg
- Calcium: 54mg
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 1 1/2 cups diced Fuji apple
- 1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1. Place wheat berries in a medium bowl; cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries. Cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain. Place wheat berries in a saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above wheat berries; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Combine wheat berries, apple, and next 4 ingredients (through celery) in a large bowl. Combine oil and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over wheat berry mixture; toss to coat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note