- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 (7 3/4-ounce) cans salmon, drained, rinsed, and flaked
- Pimiento-stuffed olive slices (optional)
- Carrot slices (optional)
- Fresh parsley sprigs
How to Make It
Soften gelatin in cold water. Combine egg yolks, salt, mustard, and paprika in top of a double boiler. Gradually add butter, milk, and lemon juice; mix well. Cook over boiling water, stirring constantly, 15 minutes. Add gelatin, stirring until dissolved. Gently fold in salmon. Pour mixture into a lightly oiled 5 1/2-cup fish mold. Cover and chill until firm.
Unmold salmon onto a chilled serving plate; decorate fish with olive slices for eyes, and carrot slices for mouth and fins, if desired. Garnish tray with parsley. Serve with melba toast rounds.