Salmon Club Sandwiches
Photo: © Kana Okada
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tamarind concentrate
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 dried chipotle chiles, stems and seeds discarded
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup agave syrup, see Note
- 1/2 teaspoon pure chile powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 skinless 4-ounce salmon fillets, halved crosswise
- 12 thin slices of whole wheat toast
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 4 large slices of beefsteak tomato
- In a saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the tamarind, garlic, chipotles, raisins, tomato paste, agave and chile powder. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat until thick, 20 minutes. Let cool, then puree in a blender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Set the salmon in a large, shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. Coat with 1/2 cup of the sauce; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill and oil the grates. Grill the salmon over high heat, turning once and basting with another 1/2 cup of the sauce, until just cooked through, 4 minutes.
- For each club, use 3 slices of toast; spread each with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise and layer with the arugula, tomato and fish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This