Very hearty and delicious!
Salmon Chowder with Chives
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lindsey Ellis Beatty
More From Coastal Living
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces red potatoes, cubed
- 8 ounces Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless salmon fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives, divided
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1. Sauté shallot in butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until tender. Whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Add potatoes and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Add salmon; simmer 5 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork and potatoes are tender.
- 2. Discard bay leaf. Stir in cream, 2 tablespoons chives, vinegar, and next 3 ingredients. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. (Do not boil.) Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons chives.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This