Salad of Bitter Greens with Balsamic-Glazed Prosciutto
Prosciutto and pancetta both require months to cure, but sometimes they're eaten before they're fully aged. In Emilia-Romagna, cooks turn that partially cured meat into dishes like pancetta fresca alla griglia, in which the pork is grilled, then lacquered with balsamic vinegar. Here, in a riff on that dish, Paul Bartolotta sautés prosciutto until crisp, glazes it with balsamic vinegar then tosses it into a salad of bitter greens and chopped egg—a brilliant combination of flavors and textures.
Yield: 6 servings
Community Recipe from
- 5 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon(s) red wine vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoon(s) dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 head(s) frisee leaves torn
- 3 ounce(s) arugula (3 cups)
- 1 head(s) radicchio (3 cups) leaves torn
- 3 ounce(s) dandelion greens (3 cups) stems discarded and leaves torn
- 8 ounce(s) goat cheese crumbled
- 5 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 6 ounce(s) proscuitto cut into 1/2-inch-wide ribbons
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon each of both vinegars with the mustard. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the greens and chopped eggs but don't toss.
- 2. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook over moderately high heat until the butter begins to brown, about 1 minute. Add the prosciutto and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and cook until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Swirl in the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter until melted.
- 3. Toss the greens, season with salt and pepper and transfer to plates. Spoon the hot dressing over the greens and serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Jess00 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Salad of Bitter Greens with Balsamic-Glazed Prosciutto Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Salads