This was a great salad and incorporated so many wonderful vegetables! The dressing was so good, too, and will be great on other salads as well. The only changes I made was I left out the chickpeas (didn't have them) and substituted fresh basil for the mint since I didn't have mint. Other than that, I made as directed. I will definitely make this again!
Market Salad with Goat Cheese and Champagne-Shallot Vinaigrette
Fresh herbs make all the difference in this versatile dressing. Try it on any combination of greens and vegetables from your local farmers' market.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 17 Minutes
- Calories: 345
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 40.1g
- Fiber: 10.5g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 370mg
- Calcium: 161mg
- 2 medium beets (about 3/4 pound)
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons walnut or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Wrap beets in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven; cool. Trim off beet roots and stems; rub off skins. Cut each beet into 8 wedges.
- 3. Cook beans in boiling water 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge beans into ice water; drain well. Combine beans and chickpeas in a medium bowl.
- 4. Combine shallots and the next 8 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add 2 tablespoons dressing to beets; toss well. Combine 2 tablespoons dressing and tomatoes in a bowl; toss gently to coat. Add the remaining 1/4 cup dressing to bean mixture; tossing well to combine. Place 3/4 cup bean mixture on each of 4 plates. Arrange 4 pieces each of beets and tomatoes around bean mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes