Creamy eggs, the star of this entrée, play well off the bitter greens and earthy 'shrooms.
Southern Living APRIL 2013
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cover with a damp paper towel, and chill.
2. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings.
3. Sauté shallot in 1 Tbsp. reserved hot drippings over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar and mustard. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a small bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
4. Cook mushrooms in skillet in remaining 1 Tbsp. reserved hot drippings over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.
5. Toss endive mixture with 1/4 cup vinaigrette, and divide among 6 salad plates. Top with eggs, mushrooms, bacon, and bread slices. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Go to full version of