Bistro Salad with Bacon, Eggs, and Mushrooms
Creamy eggs, the star of this entrée, play well off the bitter greens and earthy 'shrooms.
More From Southern Living
Total: 25 Minutes
- 6 cups loosely packed torn curly endive
- 3 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 6 ounces slab bacon slices, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup halved baby portobello mushrooms
- 6 medium-cooked large eggs, halved
- 12 artisan bread slices, toasted
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cover with a damp paper towel, and chill.
- 2. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings.
- 3. Sauté shallot in 1 Tbsp. reserved hot drippings over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar and mustard. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a small bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
- 4. Cook mushrooms in skillet in remaining 1 Tbsp. reserved hot drippings over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.
- 5. Toss endive mixture with 1/4 cup vinaigrette, and divide among 6 salad plates. Top with eggs, mushrooms, bacon, and bread slices. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note