Bistro Salad with Bacon, Eggs, and Mushrooms
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 25 Minutes
- 6 cups loosely packed torn curly endive
- 3 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 6 ounces slab bacon slices, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup halved baby portobello mushrooms
- 6 medium-cooked large eggs, halved
- 12 artisan bread slices, toasted
- 1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cover with a damp paper towel, and chill.
- 2. Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings.
- 3. Sauté shallot in 1 Tbsp. reserved hot drippings over medium heat 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar and mustard. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a small bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
- 4. Cook mushrooms in skillet in remaining 1 Tbsp. reserved hot drippings over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt.
- 5. Toss endive mixture with 1/4 cup vinaigrette, and divide among 6 salad plates. Top with eggs, mushrooms, bacon, and bread slices. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This