Sage Pesto-Rubbed Roast Chicken
Serve a whole chicken recipe for an easy dinner tonight. The presentation is elegant, but the preparation is a breeze.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 298
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 42.1g
- Carbohydrate: 1.2g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 126mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 345mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (7-pound) roasting chicken
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare pesto, combine first 7 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub pesto under loosened skin and over breast and drumsticks. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove chicken from oven); bake an additional 1 1/2 hours or until a thermometer registers 180°. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note