Saffron Steamed Mussels
This Spanish-style dish is easy enough to pull off on a weeknight.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 290
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 8.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 489mg
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-in. dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-in. dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bottle (8 oz.) clam juice
- 1 cup aromatic white wine such as Viognier
- 4 dozen mussels in the shell, scrubbed, beards pulled off
- Finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges
- 1. Sauté bell peppers in oil in a 5- to 6-qt. pan over medium-high heat until beginning to brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Add garlic, saffron, and pepper and cook, stirring, until garlic is softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2. Pour in 1 cup water, the clam juice, and wine. Cover, bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- 3. Return broth to boiling and stir in mussels. Cook, covered, over medium heat until shells open, 8 to 10 minutes; discard any mussels that don't open. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with parsley, and serve with lemon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes