This is a great recipe! The dish is full of flavor. I used an organic Moroccan saffron I purchased from Amazon, which enhanced the flavor of the dish. If you are interested, you can check it out here http://www.amazon.com/Moroccan-Saffron-LLC/dp/B00JX1QZRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402273446&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+moroccan+saffron Thanks! Keep these great recipes coming!
Saffron Rice with Tilapia and Shrimp
More From Cooking Light
Total: 55 Minutes
- Calories: 338
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 600mg
- Calcium: 60mg
- 8 ounces unpeeled large shrimp
- 3 1/3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/8 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked short-grain rice
- 12 ounces tilapia, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 6 lemon wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Peel shrimp, reserving shells; set shrimp aside. Combine shrimp shells, chicken stock, 2/3 cup water, and saffron in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and keep warm.
- 3. Combine chopped tomato, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sugar, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth.
- 4. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add tomato mixture to pan; cook 6 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add uncooked rice to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain stock mixture over a bowl; discard solids. Add stock mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (do not stir). Top with reserved shrimp, tilapia, and peas. Sprinkle with remaining 5/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with parsley; serve with lemon wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note