To toast the almonds, add them to a small skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan until they turn light golden.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 147
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 32.9g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 345mg
- Calcium: 5mg
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Combine warm water and saffron.
- Rinse rice well; drain. Combine rice and 2 cups cold water in a bowl, and let stand 30 minutes to 2 hours. Drain.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cloves and bay leaves; cook 1 1/2 minutes, stirring occasionally (be careful not to burn the bay leaves). Stir in saffron mixture, rice, broth, raisins, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Discard cloves and bay leaves; sprinkle with almonds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables